|East Central and Quinte Home page
Quinte Soil & Crop News
If you have not renewed your membership for 2010 this is the last newsletter you will receive until you renew.
For Hastings/Lennox & Addington, Northumberland, and Prince Edward Soil & Crop Members
Contact your County SCIA secretary to renew.
This Issue Sponsored By: See Sponsor Ads
|OMAFRA, OSCIA ||Alpine Plant Food - Brad King ||BASF - Ian Page |
| Country Farm Seeds - Harold Huff ||County Automation - Dan Kempers ||County Farm Centre - Doug West |
|Dekalb - Jason MacCuaig ||Hyland Seeds - Craig Carson || Maizex Seeds - Chad Mangan |
|Pickseed Canada - Lyle Gallagher ||Precision Planting - Gary Parks ||Quality Seeds - Doug Baker |
|Royal Bank in Peterborough || Terratec Environmental ||Tri-County Agromart |
AREA NEWS and Annual Meetings OSCIA News and Crop Talk links below
- Coming Events - link to separate page
- Environmental Farm Plan Workshops on OSCIA website
- Growing Your Farm Profits Workshops on OSCIA website
- 2010 East Central Farm Show Pictures
The 30th East Central Farm Show was held on March 3 and 4 in the Farmers' Mutual Exhibition building at the Lindsay Fair Grounds.
Over 150 exhibitors were present.
The building now has 2 wireless sound speakers as the East Central Soil and Crop Association donated $5000 towards
the sound system last fall.
Thanks to exhibitors who donated door prizes-from hats to gift vouchers to hockey tickets.
- Quinte Farm and Trade Show was held February 18 At K of C in Trenton.
The Crops session for the morning was organized by Eric Kaiser and hosted by Max. Featured speaker was Pat Lynch, a Certified Crop Advisor.
Pat gave an over view of crop management as it has evolved over the last 50 years, and the benefits and the mistakes that were made.
His challenge was for the younger people to remember the mistakes and try to not repeat them.
In particular his reference was to the wide spread use of a single herbicide and the
resulting weed resistance that has followed.
- Nitrogen Rates on Established Switchgrass is the Regional Project the Quinte Region SCIA for 2009-2011.
Co-operators are Kurt Vanclief, Ameliasburg and Ron Toonders, Williamsburg under the guidance of Scott Banks, OMAFRA
- Message from the President
- 2010 OSCIA Executive
- OSCIA Annual Meeting
- Outreach Coordinator
- Growing the Margins Conference
- 2010 Ontario Forage Masters Program
- OSCIA List Server
- Crop Advances - Field Crop Reports
- Read Your Soil Test Report Carefully!
- Manure Economics...Again
- Selecting a Pasture Mix
- Weather Impacts on Nitrogen Response
- Crop Budgets For 2010
- Organic Agriculture Information
- Soil Erosion, Soil Health and More
- Anthracnose - An Ever Present Danger in Edible Beans
- A Tough Sell..AGAIN!
- What Are the Best Herbicide Programs for Identity Preserved (IP)
- ESN Controlled Release Fertilizer on Corn and Spring Wheat