For Durham, Peterborough, Victoria (CKL)/Haliburton, and York Soil & Crop Members
AREA NEWS and Events March EastCentral 19 PDF 1263 kb. Add the information on
OSCIA News and Crop Talk links below for the same as mailed copy or this link has all together March EastCentral 19 as mailed PDF 3806 kb.
- Coming Events link to separate page
- April 9 Durham SCIA Spring Meeting, Rick Geisberger’s, 6683 Langmaid Rd Hampton. Mike Cowbrough OMAFRA Weed specialist; panel discussion on how to tackle resistance; Warren Schneckenburger, Innovative Farmer of the Year
- East Central Soil and Crop Tier 2 project PDF 522 kb
- 2019 ECFS pictures link to separate page. Thanks to 181 exhibitors inside, and 1 outside only, attracting nearly 3000 to the 39th East Central Farm Show, held March 6 and 7, in the Commonwell Exhibition Building, at the Lindsay Fairgrounds. 173 memberships sold, 2363 paid $5. Memberships down and door take up from last year. Thanks to the volunteers at the door.
Thanks to the exhibitors donating items for the door prizes. WRC Stock, General Seeds, Haas Custom Farming, Kawartha Hydraulics, Master Feeds, Bio-Ag, Hub International, British Empire Fuels, Nutri-Pel, Mother Goose, and more. Thanks to the Lindsay AG Society staff. Thanks to the 4-H for the food.
- Link to MTO Site for Rules for Farm vehicles on the road.
- from OFA – Ontario farmers: take action now to be exempt from fuel charge
- Canadian Agricultural Partnership program Lead:
Paul Reeds 705-341-4915 Paul.Reeds@ontariosoilcrop.org
- Registration for EFP and GYFP Workshop Leaders:
- Robin Brown at Robin.Brown@ontariosoilcrop.org 705-718-4859
- Amy Petherick at Amy.Petherick@ontariosoilcrop.org 289-251-3042
- East Central Scholarships
- 4-H and local SCIA projects Financial Assistance from East Central SCIA
OSCIA March 2019 PDF file(1,087 kb)
- Message from the President
- 2019 OSCIA Provincial Board of Directors
- OSCIA Soil Health Graduate Scholarship
- 2019 OSCIA Soil Champions
- Crop Advances – On-going Research Resource
- Timothy, The Slender Grass with Fat Economic Return
- Don Hill Legacy Award Announcement
Crop Talk March 2019 PDF file(1,521 kb)
- To Clean or Not to Clean? Managing DON in Grain Corn
- Ontario Corn Committee Hybrid DON Testing in 2018
- Looking for Tillers? Consider Early Season Nitrogen Management!
- Common questions related to dealing with sulphur deficiency symptoms in winter wheat
- What’s Working on the Farm? Practical Solutions for Problem Weeds
- Fine-tuning Nitrogen Strategies on Corn
- Be Aware – Light Right
Ontario farmers: take action now to be exempt from fuel charge
The Greenhouse Gas Pollution Pricing Act (GHGPPA) established a federal
standard for reducing carbon pollution for provinces and territories without carbon pollution pricing systems that meet the federal standard.
The federal carbon pollution pricing system now applies in Ontario.
Starting in April 2019, the federal carbon pollution pricing system will add a charge to everyday fuels for fuel delivered in Ontario for Air, Marine, Rail and Road use.
Ontario farmers are eligible to receive an exemption from the fuel charge for fuels (gasoline and light fuel oil) used in tractors, trucks or other farm machinery, by completing an exemption form available through Canada’s Revenue Agency (CRA).
Eligible farming machinery is property that is primarily used for the purposes of farming and that is a farm truck or tractor, a vehicle not licensed to be operated on a public road, or an industrial machine or stationary or portable engine
Fill out the exemption form today, available online on the CRA website, and provide a copy to your fuel distributor. Keep an additional copy for your own farm records.
Access the form here:
Fuel Charge Exemption Certificate for Farmers
|East Central Scholarships,
Criteria: Students living in the East Central area Durham, Haliburton, Peterborough, Victoria, York – enrolled in their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year at a post-secondary institution or an agricultural college.
Six scholarships in the amount of $1000 – selection takes into account academic performance, leadership, contribution to community, involvement in rural youth organizations with emphasis on conservation and environmental goals.
Application form accepted until December 31, 2019
|EAST CENTRAL Executive|
|Past President||Tom Barrie||905-623-6330|
|1st Vice||Jon Bagshaw||705-934-8989|
|2nd Vice||Matt Porter||705-559-7551|
|OSCIA Director||Paul Hagey||905-260-0997|
|Regional Communication Coordinator||Neil Moore||705-324-2594|
|Other Directors Aaron Bowman, Jim Smith, Jim Buck, Frank Hoftyzer, Jordan Coates, Tom Patterson, Adam Bent, Dustin Mulock
OMAFRA: Ian McDonald, Christine O’Reilly
|Farm Show Committee Paul Hagey, Derrick Weiher, Jeff Steiner, Joe Hickson, Don Oliver, Neil Moore|
|Durham||Aaron Bowman||Tom Barrie|
|Peterborough||Matt Porter||Jim Buck|
|Victoria(CKL)||Dustin Mulock||Adam Bent|
|York||Alvin Brooks||Tom Patterson|